Surgery was a success!
PTL!
Michael continues to do very well post operativly. Pain continues to be the biggest hurdle with Michael's surgery and even that has been quite manageable. He is being given Morphine on demand via pump (up to a specified dose per hour/per day) and IV Ibuprofen (Toradol) every 6 hours. His pain is fairly well controlled between these two meds.
The day of surgery was very relaxed and laid back. Surgery was scheduled for 1:38, lol, but was pushed back due to a power outage in the OR. They have back up generators that immediately turned on but they did not want begin surgery until the issue was completely resolved. We gladly waited.
l)![]() |
| Waiting to go to OR |
![]() |
| More waiting...due to power outage in OR dept |
![]() |
| Fixing to roll down to the OR doors with mommy and Kayla |
The surgery went as planned with no surprises as we were told by Dr. Pena. There was only 10ml of blood loss and no complications. In addition to the issues Michael had from previous surgeries in his birth country, Michael had a rectal stricture which had all but closed off the entire colon. Dr. Pena had to remove the stricture plus part of the rectum and taper what was left to fit Michael's new anatomy. Everything was sewn back together in it's proper place and Michael is a new little man tonight. Amazing!
Below is where Kayla and I waited during surgery. Very nice!
![]() |
| OR Waiting Room |
![]() |
| OR waiting room |
![]() |
| OR waiting room...empty because we were last to get out. |
I got to see the incision site today and it was both a surprise and exactly what I expected. It runs from his lower spine, up between both legs and stops at his private area. There are hundreds of stitches both internal and external. I expected this but I did not expect the stitches to be hidden as well as they are. It almost looks as if an embroidery stitch was used. It's that good of a job! I wish I could post pictures so you could see just how wonderful everything looks, but I think I will spare Michael the public exposure. lol.
For the next 5 days, we will have to do our best to keep Michael still with his legs mostly together to keep him from pulling out the stitches. We are lightly wrapping his thighs together in a blanket and it seems to be working pretty well.
For 10 days, Michael will be fed a liquid nutrition through an IV PICC line, which is a type of central line. He will not be allowed to eat any food or drink any liquids by mouth during this time because they do not want any stool to form and thus pass through the newly created opening while there is a fresh incision with stitches. We are not supposed to not eat in front of him during this time as it may cause his tummy to growl or distress him since he cannot eat. So, we eat after he goes to sleep or sneak something with our back turned towards him. It's tricky. We can also go eat in the guest lounge but have yet to do this.
For the next month we are to carry him in a 'scoop' hold instead of on our hip as he cannot straddled anything and we will be double diapering his bottom to provide extra cushion for the incision site.
For the next 5 months there will be twice daily rehab that Jeff and I will be working with Michael on. I'll spare you the details but it involves keeping scar tissue from forming and closing off parts of the incision site that need to remain open.
Michael is expected to be in the hospital until Oct 6, then we will stay in Cincinnati at the Ronald McDonald House another week to attend daily clinic visits with Dr. Pena plus to take daily abdominal x-rays to make sure everything is working properly inside. I'll also attend a bowel management program to learn how to care for Michael's new anatomy. Michael is expected to be released to go home Sept 13! I cannot wait!!!!! Though, I will miss Cincinnati and Cincinnati Children's Hospital. We have had such a wonderful experience here!
![]() |
| Ronald McDonald House |
















3 comments:
So glad he is doing well! Hugs from Missouri!
Praising God for this good news!! Hugs to you!
That's great news, Debbie! Thanks for the update. Sounds like he is doing great. Praying he heals quickly and you can get home as scheduled.
Post a Comment