This will be a pretty technical post, mostly just for me to remember what is going on. Sorry to bore everyone with technical difficulities...
We have run into a little set-back with our I-600A. Our HS update is finished and I was fixing to send it to our stateside helper for review before filing it with USCIS, but I decided to call USCIS to check on what documents I needed to send in with our update. During our conversation, the officer asked me if we had already filed the I-600 and I said we did, after we adopted Matthew and Michael in Dec. The officer told me we could NOT do a simple update since our I-600 had been filed. She said two more children could only be added to a current I-171H if we had not already filed the I-600.
Our SW had called USCIS three different times last week to verify various things for the update and they said we could add two more children, but I guess USCIS thought we had not filed the I-600 yet and we did not know to mention it. We all assumed we could work off our current I-171H since it is less than 18 months old. Just miscommunication.
The USCIS officer said HS's must be less than 6 months old when filing a brand new I-600A. This means we will have to do a new homestudy, not an updated one because our original HS is now 9 months old. We will also have to get new biometrics done which means waiting for a new fingerprint appointment. I'm bummed to say the least!
Our SW is so sweet and said that if she hustles, she can get the new HS compiled and finished by early next week. I'm so thankful she will work on this throughout Easter weekend!!! Thank you so much, Ashley!!!
So, that is where we stand. Still compiling our HS....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Definitions:
SW... Social Worker
HS...Homestudy
USCIS... Government agency that approves the number of children one can adopt internationally
I-600A... Application for Advance Processing of Orphan Petitions.
I-600... The Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative
I-171H...The Golden Ticket... Notice of Favorable Determination Concerning Application for Advance Processing of Orphan Petitions....basically USA's permission for you to adopt internationally and the number of children approved.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
Hugs, Deggie! I know the hoops we all jump through are very trying. Hang in there- it'll all happen at the right time; we all know that in the back of our minds. When you look back in another year or so, maybe you will be able to see the reason.
Post a Comment